Supporting Emerging Business Leaders Who Want to Change the World
Please Note: applications for the 1 Hotels Fellowship 2017/2018 program cycle are now closed. We thank everyone who expressed interest during our inaugural application process and greatly appreciate all applications received. 2017/2018 Fellows will be announced on Tuesday, October 3. Please feel free to contact us with any questions at email@example.com.
The 1 Hotels Fellowship at E2 is designed to support and develop young entrepreneurs and emerging business leaders who seek to make the world a better place through direct and indirect advocacy for change that’s good for the economy and good for the environment.
1 Hotels Fellows will work in partnership with NRDC’s Environmental Entrepreneurs (E2) program to identify pressing environmental issues and needs across the country, and then organize and execute projects that help communicate and amplify the business and economic case for smart policies to address these issues.
Up to 10 fellows will be selected for the 2017/2018 program cycle.
Each fellow will receive an award of $25,000, plus other benefits.
The 1 Hotels Fellowship at E2 is made possible through a generous grant from 1 Hotels founder Barry Sternlicht.
Wanted: Your big idea to advance policies to change the world
How can you help advance policies that are good for our economy and our environment? That’s up to you!
Sample projects include:
- Organizing business roundtables or other business-focused community events in key states to communicate the economic benefits of clean energy policies to the public and lawmakers.
- Organizing and helping lead businesspeople on advocacy trips to state capitals to meet with lawmakers to discuss the importance of clean energy and clean water policies.
- Designing and coordinating outreach programs to large businesses to educate them about clean energy, energy efficiency and environmental policies and get them engaged in advocating for beneficial policies.
- Measuring the jobs creation and economic impacts that result from investments in local energy and water infrastructure or climate resiliency programs.
- Creating databases of clean energy companies and projects in key states.
- Creating databases of investments in clean energy, clean water and related companies in target states.
- Creating “story banks” and video projects that profile and tell the stories of businesses at the intersection of the environment and the economy and the policies that impact their success.
- Designing targeted social media campaigns to communicate the economic benefits of clean energy and sustainable industries jobs.
- Creating peer-to-peer communications programs for emerging leaders to share ideas about how to make change in their cities or regions through advocacy.
Fellowships are restricted to early or mid-career young professionals who currently work in sustainability, clean energy, water, infrastructure or related fields. Fellows will be chosen by a committee of seasoned entrepreneurs and environmental leaders, including members of E2’s national network of business leaders and NRDC’s environmental experts. Fellowship awards will be based on project merits and needs and individuals’ passion and desire to engage in advocacy at the federal, state and international levels. Some preference will be given to location-specific projects where E2 operates, including in the Midwest, California, New York, New England, Pennsylvania, Colorado, the Pacific Northwest and Washington, D.C. and to projects that help E2 expand its reach, membership and advocacy.
In addition to a $25,000 award, each fellow will receive support from E2 and NRDC staff to complete their selected projects. Fellows also will become part of E2 and its Emerging Leaders Program, which will include:
- Training in advocacy, communications, and media relations;
- Mentoring from seasoned executives and entrepreneurs across the country in the fields of sustainability, clean energy and other areas;
- Inclusion in E2 advocacy trips to meet with lawmakers and policymakers in state capitals and in Washington DC;
- Media exposure and press opportunities;
- Inclusion in special E2 Emerging Leaders programs at E2’s nine chapters nationwide;
- Invitations to monthly Webinars with business leaders, environmental experts and lawmakers;
- Connections with E2’s network of business leaders, investors and others in sustainability, clean energy and other fields;
- Inclusion in special 1 Hotels programs and events.
- Early to mid-career professionals
- U.S. residents only
- Able to commit dedicated time on a regular basis to complete the selected project
2017/2018 Application Timeline and Process
- Application Period Begins: Saturday, April 22, 2017
- Application Period Closes: August 1, 2017 at 11:59 pm ET
- During the evaluation period, shortlisted applicants may be asked to participate, from their home base, in a face-to-face or online interview. Awarded Fellows will be informed by October 3, 2017
- 2017/2018 Fellowship cycle runs from October 2017 – September 2018
How to Apply
- Application deadline is August 1, 2017 at 11:59 pm ET
- Create a profile, submit your resume and answer the questions within the application portal, describing your project idea
Interested, but not ready to apply?Intent to Apply
For even more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org