Winning Fellows represented across U.S. in CA, OH, NC, IL, CO, and Mid-Atlantic States
SAN FRANCISCO (September 12, 2018) – National business group E2 (Environmental Entrepreneurs) and sustainability-driven hotel brand 1 Hotels announced today the 2018-2019 1 Hotels Fellowship class at E2. The unique fellowship awards ten young U.S. business leaders $20,000 each to execute projects that advance clean energy and environmental policies in America.
Projects include a documentary video series on clean jobs in Colorado, researching community EV charge sharing in Chicago, and building a network of sustainability-committed building owners in Cincinnati.
“1 Hotels is excited to participate in the E2 fellowship and to engage with fellows who are identifying interesting problems related to the environment and climate change, while also exploring constructive solutions that create a new and robust economy,” said Hannah Bronfman, 1 Hotels Director of Sustainability.
“These Fellows show us where the US economy can go if we embrace smart environmental policies” said Bob Keefe, E2 Executive Director. “Now more than ever we need to tap into the visions of America’s young business leaders if we are to continue on the path towards a strong clean economy.”
Fellows also receive mentorship and membership into E2’s Emerging Leaders program.
- Jesse Barlow (Colorado) – A series of short documentary videos examining the economic and environmental advantages of clean job creation in Colorado and beyond.
- Thomas Dowling (Chicago) – A project to convince neighborhood associations throughout the country to embrace sustainability and the benefits it can provide to communities.
- Lauren Hafford (Colorado) – A project aimed at finding a route to profitability under conservation practices such as cover crops and no-till agriculture.
- Tasfia Nayem (New York City) – A project pursuing innovative financing mechanisms, such as green bonds and public-private partnerships, that can build low-carbon transportation infrastructure.
- Vanessa Perkins (Chicago) – Research on piloting a community electric vehicle (EV) charge sharing network in urban neighborhoods of Chicago
- Tremaine Phillips (Ohio) – Development of a network of building and property owners committed to sustainability in urban Cincinnati.
- James Ray (North Carolina) – An analysis highlighting the economic benefits of collaborative source water protection efforts for rural communities.
- Abe Serrano (California) – A design initiative to evaluate California water consumer behaviors to achieve the state’s new permanent water use targets by 2022.
- Daniel Turner (Mid-Atlantic) – A video series promoting economic benefits of clean energy through the stories of American clean energy workers.
1 Hotels is a luxury lifestyle hotel brand inspired by nature. The brand cultivates the best of sustainable design and architecture, together with extraordinary comfort and an unrivaled level of service. 1 Hotels, which launched in 2015 with the opening of exclusive properties in Miami’s South beach and Manhattan’s Central Park, followed by Brooklyn, located on Pier 1, in February 2017, is inspired by a simple idea: those that travel the world also care about it. 1 Hotels upholds this vision by channeling nature through design and culinary partnerships, while connecting with the local community and taking sustainable steps to make a big difference.
Environmental Entrepreneurs (E2) is a national, nonpartisan group of business leaders, investors, and professionals from every sector of the economy who advocate for smart policies that are good for the economy and good for the environment. Our members have founded or funded more than 2,500 companies, created more than 600,000 jobs, and manage more than $100 billion in venture and private equity capital. For more information, see www.e2.org or follow us on Twitter at @e2org.