New Jersey’s Clean Energy Transition
With nearly 52,000 jobs statewide in fields such as renewables, clean vehicles manufacturing, and energy efficiency, New Jersey’s clean energy economy employs more than giants like UPS (19,000 workers), Wal-Mart (17,405), and Verizon (15,000) combined.
According to Clean Jobs New Jersey 2019 (downloadable PDF), New Jersey ranks ninth in renewable energy jobs, ninth in solar jobs, sixth in geothermal jobs, sixth in bioenergy, and seventh in low-impact hydro jobs among all U.S. States. The state’s clean economy also enjoys one of the highest employment rates of veterans, accounting for 13.3 % of all clean energy workers. While 40,000 clean jobs are located in the New York metro area (which ranks second in the U.S.), all 21 counties in the state employ workers in clean energy with 15 counties home to more than 1,000.
NEW JERSEY JOB SECTOR TOPLINES
- Energy Efficiency – 33,815 jobs
- Renewable Energy – 11,900 jobs
- Solar Energy – 8,818 jobs
- Energy Storage – 965 jobs
- Clean Vehicles – 3,670 jobs
- Wind Energy – 640 jobs
- Grid Modernization – 1,148 jobs
- ALL Clean Energy Sectors – 51,852 jobs
- Every single New Jersey Congressional District supports over 1,400 clean energy jobs
- Every single state senate district supports over 700 clean energy jobs
- All 21 Counties employ workers in clean energy
- Clean energy employs nearly 3X more workers in New Jersey than fossil fuels (18,602)
- 54.7 percent of clean jobs are in the construction and manufacturing sectors
- 15 out of New Jersey’s 21 counties support more than 5 clean energy workers per 1,000 employable residents
Looking for More Info?
This report follows E2’s Clean Jobs America analysis which found the clean energy jobs account for nearly 3.3 million jobs across all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Both reports expand on data from the U.S. Energy and Employment Report (USEER) produced by the Energy Futures Initiative (EFI) in partnership with the National Association of State Energy Officials (NASEO), using data collected and analyzed by the BW Research Partnership. E2 is a partner on the USEER, the fourth installment of the energy survey first released by the Department of Energy in 2016. Clean energy jobs have grown every year since the first report was released in 2016.
If you are looking for additional insight into E2’s Clean Jobs New Jersey 2019 or our other Clean Jobs America reports, visit e2.org/reports. You can also contact E2 Communications Director Michael Timberlake (email@example.com). An FAQ is also available here to answer any questions.
The complete report is available for download at this link.
OTHER CLEAN JOBS REPORTS
Clean Jobs New Jersey is only one in a series of state and industry reports produced by E2 and our partners.
- Clean Jobs America 2019 | Nearly 3.3 Million Clean Energy Jobs
- Clean Jobs Midwest 2019 |Region added more than 28,000 clean energy jobs in 2018
- Clean Jobs Nevada 2019 | 32,211 Clean Energy Jobs Across Nevada
- Clean Jobs Massachusetts 2019 | 117,669 Clean Energy Jobs Across Massachusetts
- Clean Jobs New York 2019 | 148,453 Clean Energy Jobs Across Empire State
- Energy Efficiency Jobs in America 2018 | 2.25 Million Americans Work in Energy Efficiency
- Clean Jobs Cities 2018 | America’s Top Cities for Clean Energy Jobs
- Clean Jobs California 2018 | Over 500K Californians Working in Clean Energy
- Clean Jobs Oregon 2018 | 55,179 Clean Energy Jobs Across Oregon
- Clean Jobs Washington 2018 | 82,859 clean energy jobs across Washington State
- Clean Jobs Colorado 2018 | 57,591 Clean Energy Jobs Across Colorado
- Clean Jobs Pennsylvania 2018 | Powering Over 86K Jobs in the Keystone State